Wine – Is it beneficial to drink it?
Wine is sunlight held together by water..
– Galileo Galilei
While there are many alcoholic beverages, wine is one of the few celebrated form of alcohol. Also, it makes the top of the list of alcoholic beverage to have been under production for thousands of years. The word wine is derived from its Latin counterpart “vinum“which refers to vine literally. Unlike the popular beliefs, wine is not extracted just from grapes. There are wines extracted from the fruit juices of apple, pomegranate and elder berry and so on. France, Italy and Spain have always been topping the list on largest wine production and consumption.
Wine consumption – to boost your health
It has been a proven fact that the health of your heart boosts up with the consumption of wine. But research has also proven that wine consumption at a moderate level can help improve your immunity, memory, help in weight loss and can also help prevent bone loss.
- Wine for your heart and brain :It has been proven by research that wine helps improve your memory. Also, studies indicate that wine can help in reducing inflammation of blood vessels and preventing the formation of clots in brain, which further ensures safety of heart and improves your cognitive ability.
- Lose your extra pounds with wine:It is proved that people who indulge in drinking wine daily (of course at a moderate consumption) burn more calories, specifically in the abdominal area.
- Improve your defences:A study conducted by British, has proved that wine consumption, a glass per day, can reduce the risk of bacterial infection by up to 11%. This helps your body fight against the ailments like ulcers, stomach cancers and gastritis. Another Spanish study has proved that it can help you on food poisoning too.
- Improve bone mass:The level of estrogen increases with the consumption of alcohol and hence with a moderate consumption of wine every day, women can improve the mass on their bone and reduce any possible bone loss.
- Against increasing blood sugar:A study conducted by Harvard Medical school has proved that women who consume around 1-2 glasses of wine a day, are less likely to be affected by type 2 diabetes. It seems that wine helps reduce the resistance to insulin in patients who are diabetic.
There are many more such healthy benefits that one can enjoy by consuming wine.
Darker side to drinking wine
Every coin has two sides. Yes, there are some negative effects to wine consumption as well. All the above advantages can turn into disadvantage if you consume more than the limit. Consuming more wine can increase appetite causing obesity, heart disease, sleeplessness, allergies, brain damage and so on. Consumption during pregnancy can cause birth defects and low weight for the babies too.
“Even elixir turns poisonous when taken in excess. “ It is therefore, important to know your limit before consumption of wine or any form of alcohol. With the right quantity, you can reap huge benefits.